Bali, 3-5 February 2020
About Agroforestry Course and Implementation
Many of the sustainable farming practices are based on the logic of input substitution. Chemicals are replaced with organic, plastics with biodegradable materials, pesticides with all sorts of preparations. However, the way of thinking is still very close to that one they oppose. In common, they combat the consequences of the lack of adequate conditions for healthy plant growth.
This 3 days international course will work on the shared goals of regenerative agriculture that brings about healthy land and food while nurturing traditional knowledge and self-reliant communities together with a local farmer in the dry subak in the neighboring village of Sibang-Gede. The intensive course is followed by non-mandatory 6 weekly half-day implementation sessions on Tuesday mornings from February-March.
During the course you will learn about:
- Forest strata. We will explore how plants behave in their environment, considering the quantity and quality of light that the plants need to be healthy and the particular forest niche they thrive in.
- Natural succession. To cultivate a forest it is important to see how plants behave across time. How long it takes them to reach their full life cycle and how long it takes until they reach maturity.
- The importance of Mulching. It is essential that soil stays covered with organic matter to be fertile. We will teach people the best mulching practices for maximum soil health.
- Intercropping. We will demonstrate how to combine plants in an Agroforest, including examples on how to properly combine different species in one system.
- Plant Propagation. Knowledge of best practices for the propagation of different plant species to create long term health and productivity of individual plants.
- Agroforestry Design. There will be a practical design exercise evaluating the producer’s goal regarding the quantity and type of products being produced and considering all variables of a property: climate, soil quality, ground leveling, positioning considering the sun, etc.
- We will also initiate the implantation of a new area that will become a food forest at the local banjar.
Arthur Venturella will fly from Porto Alegre, Brazil to teach us here in Bali. After travelling to different regions in the world to study from the best references in agroforestry, he dedicated his life to the recovery of degraded land through agroforestry systems. In the last year he is working as agroforestry farmer and also as an educator. He will guide us through the theory and implementation of agroforestry together with international participants.
This course is really important for Indonesia and its people. Therefore, the organizer was proud to invite bright future Indonesian agroforester to apply for a fully funded scholarship and partial scholarship.
Venue and Time
Duration: 3 days + non-mandatory 6 weekly half-day implementation sessions
Venue: Subak Sibang Gede, Bali, Indonesia
Dates: 3 – 5 February 2020 (mandatory course) & Tuesday, 11 February to 17 March (non mandatory).
- Indonesian nationality
- Have high motivation, passion and interest on the topic
- Able to understand and speak basic English
- Have background or experience working in agriculture/forestry/agroforestry/related activity
- Complete this registration forms within the deadline of Wednesday, 15 January 2020 at 23:59 WITA.
- The fully-funded scholarship will be awarded to two (2) Indonesians who are working on the topic and want to broaden their impact.
- The partial scholarship will be given to five (5) Indonesians who are not selected for the fully-funded scholarship and still want to actively participate in the course.
The course is funded by The Bridge co-learning space at the Green School Bali and Kul Kul Connection. Thus all expenses for the course, educational materials and food during the course in Bali are fully covered for those who receive the fully-funded scholarship (total value IDR6,500,000). For those who receive partial scholarship only need to pay less than 10% on the total scholarship value (IDR 600,000). If you are not selected for both scholarship, you can still participate by buying the workshop ticket here.
The scholarship does NOT cover:
- Transportation fee to, from and in Bali
- Accommodation in Bali
- Personal medication and expenses
Further info please go to our website: https://thebridge.greenschool.org/
For any inquiries you can write to us email@example.com